Wednesday 19 September 2012

La Fleur.

     This blog post is not meant to be controversial. Well, it won't be controversial. For the first time in the history of my blog, I am going to write about something NICE. Something I find refreshing and wonderful. Take note, kids.
     This last Monday, I started a new job at an independent flower shop. My boss worked for four years in Fort McMurray so he could save up enough money to start the business and get married. Cute, right? He is one of the nicest, most accepting people I've ever met. He constantly says "thank you" whenever I do any kind of job even though I'm getting paid for it, which is really nice. It makes me feel appreciated. And he's cheery! He's just plain ol' kind and joyous. But he's not why I'm writing this post.
     Whilst cutting the ends off of some very pretty roses, I got to thinking about the flower industry, which is something I'd never really thought about before. Most of our flowers come from South America or Europe, which sucks because it's so far, and they probably use tons of pesticides, but I digress. After I passed over the ususal "why this sucks" tangent of my thought process, I started to really think about the use of the flower industry and I came to the realization that the only reason it exists is for the sole purpose of celebration. We, at the store, do arrangements for weddings, birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, and "just because". Flowers make people feel awesome. There's no way that something so natural and beautiful wouldn't make people feel special or just plain happy. What's greater than an industry based on the happiness of people and the celebration of love and life?
     Needless to say, I love my job. I love that I am a part of something that makes people feel good. I love knowing that when I wake up in the morning, I will be making someone's life more enjoyable, even if it is in a really small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment