Wednesday 5 September 2012

Is Being Normal Okay?

     I was talking to a good friend a few days ago about social norms. It's funny how simple everything seems until you question or ponder why it is so socially acceptable to do certain things in the first place. I brought up the idea of having one bathroom for both genders in every public setting. If you can imagine this (it IS a little odd, I'll admit), you might feel that if this were socially acceptable since the time you were born, you might not be as scared of, or as unfamiliar with, the other gender as you are now. You may feel that this situation might be unsafe, but remember, everyone would be completely accustomed to it. I can't help but feel that this might encourage a certain type of equality and brotherhood. I know personally that I would be less scared of one on one confrontations with men (I should not be scared of men, but that's a conversation for another day).
     I also brought up the idea of raising children based on gender. It seems completely normal to most parents that if they have a son, he should wear pants and play with cars and like the color blue. But who's to say that this is what the child wants? I recently listened to a radio show on gender stereotyping in young children and how harmful it can be to them in the future, especially if they turn out to be homosexual or transgender. On the show, a couple was interviewed because of the way they chose to raise their children. They have a son who chooses to wear pink, chooses to wear dresses and chooses to keep his hair fairly long. Their son identifies himself as a boy, but chooses to present himself as more "girly", some might say. The parents are completely accepting of this young boy. Can you imagine how easily confidence would come if you grew up knowing exactly who you were, you didn't have to deal with any external pressures and your parents supported this?
     When things as normal as these are questioned, we see that maybe they shouldn't be so normal at all.
     After talking with my friend, I began to think more about social norms and one popped into my head that I've thought about a few times before: the concept of having pets. I know most people who have pets are self-proclaimed "animal lovers" and would do anything for their pet, but is the idea of owning another living thing natural? I've never known of another species that takes an infant animal away from its family and raises it according to the rules of the owner species. My family has two dogs, a cat and my best friend and I share three fish. I love all of these animals very dearly and I feel that we give them a good life. BUT, there's a part of me that feels I'm doing something wrong. Every "animal lover" has had to deal with their beloved pet shitting on the carpet. This animal has no idea that they did something wrong. If they were free to be an animal instead of a pet, they could relieve themselves wherever they wanted. But no, they belong to this animal lover and although the pet is completely clueless as to why a carpet even matters, they are punished. They are punished by their owner based on human standards. Yeah, if a person pooped on my carpet, they should know that's wrong. But a dog? I'm sorry, but there's just something about having that type of control over another living species that seems corrupt. As humans, the only species who can think and question (so far), I feel we have a responsibility to look after our more vulnerable fellow animals and protect them from harm, not willingly inflict it.
     I don't plan on having children, but now that I realize gender stereotyping in children is harmful, I'll be sure to let them be who they are meant to be if they ever happen to grace me with their presence. I'm keeping my fish, but I'm aware that now I might not have made the right decision. I know that after my little marine buddies pass, I won't be acquiring another pet. I hope this caused you to think about your own actions and maybe to question some social norms that shouldn't be so norm...al.

4 comments:

  1. This one was GREAT. Carpets don't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if we don't have pet dogs what else is gonna happen to them? I've always wondered how we got all of these certain kinds of breads of cats and dogs in the first place. It seems like most of the pets have been made to live with humans rather than apart from them. I mean can you imagine a little Shitzu running free in the wild eating... what, grass? Haha maybe if they were brought up in the wild they would be a little more accustomed to fending for themselves but i don't think they would survive in the wild at all. These small dogs don't really have any camoflauge to hide from predators or much in the way of self defence. Their jaws are small and they aren't very good hunters in the way that cats are. I realize I am picking on small dogs, and a cat or large dog might be a little more capable in the wild. But would we be doing these animals a greater service by not having them as pets or letting them roam free? Honestly, I think they might go extinct entirely. And it seems like they are just so friendly and smart, that a human connection is almost natural for them. But that also may be just how we raise them. As for fish... I don't really know what to think about them haha. But anyways I thought I might give you something else to think about.

    Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we hadn't rescued our dog from the ditch where we found it, it would be dead right now. Instead it is part of our family, being all healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so this is how I reply to your comment in public...haha. My bad!

    ReplyDelete