Tuesday 12 February 2013

You're a Human, I'm a Human. Just Be Nice.

     I'm trying to write a lot more regularly than I have been. I think it's important to write often. Sometimes I feel like I have a lot to say and sometimes I don't, but I think it's important to put stuff down either way.
     I'm feeling really scatter brained today, and I don't think this is going to be long, so here we go. This post might be a little offensive to some readers, so use your discretion. If you don't like bad words, don't read it.
     I've been thinking a lot recently about a few specific words. Words that I've always known to be rude and harsh and hard to hear: "Cunt, Bitch, Pussy". Now, you might be cringing a little bit as you read that and I definitely don't blame you. All of those words just sound inappropriate and dirty to most people, which is completely normal. We've been conditioned to think of those words as scary and offensive. The main reason I started paying attention to those three words is because they all have something in common. I guess the first thing they have in common is that they might be the most offensive words we have in the English language. But I think the more important tie between all three is the fact that they ALL HAVE TO DO WITH WOMEN. 
What the fuck.
     I can't figure out why this never occurred to me before. All three of these words are associated with being a woman. Is that why they're offensive? Is that why it hurts boys' feelings so much when they get called a "pussy" while they're playing a game of hockey? Because it has to do with being a woman? I can't help but think that it does. There hasn't been a generation in our society yet to grow up with pure equality among the sexes. Sure, we're getting closer and closer every day, but everyone knows that we're not there yet. This is especially evident when these kind of insults are the most hurtful. And who even thinks about it, you know? I didn't even think about it until right now! Do you think your uncle ever thought to himself, "You know, this might really have negative societal consequences..." when he said to you, "You throw like a girl, dude!" Of course he didn't. We're conditioned to accept that that's the way things are. Women are weaker and of lesser value, therefore, being like a woman or similar to a woman, makes you weak and less of a person. Why else would people be so offended by the idea of being compared to a girl? I know for a fact that if someone told me I threw a ball like a man, I would feel powerful and unstoppable. Doesn't that make you sad? That there's such a HUGE gap between genders? Yes, women and men are different. Of course they're different, everyone knows that. But to see one gender as better than the other is a fucking disgrace. I can't express that enough.
     So, as a woman, I'd like to take back the word "bitch". The views of people aren't going to change overnight, of course, but if I start saying to my girl friends, "Chick, you're a strong bitch!", maybe it'll catch on. Who knows? All I know is that women need to start being proud of being women, and it's hard to do that when we're constantly hearing, "You fucking pussy!", "You lost to a girl? That's embarrassing", "Grow up, you're such a little bitch", etc. So the next time you hear someone use a word that is associated with women in a derogatory way, maybe say, "Hey dude, that's not cool. Use a different word." Just defend your gender, ladies. You know you deserve respect. 

     In other news, I just found out that there's a conspiracy theory behind "Adventure Time" that says the show is set in a post-apocolyptic universe and that's why it's a big deal that Finn is a human, because he's the last one, and Jake is the result of some radioactive explosion or something. Best show ever. 

     I still haven't started a food blog because I'm still trying to get my life together. I might just start posting pictures of food off of the internet that make me really hungry. That would be good, right?

     Anyways, thank you for reading this. I really, really, really appreciate the time of anyone who even looks over what I say. This is my favourite thing to do and it really means a lot to me that people care enough to read through it. Take care. 

4 comments:

  1. http://goo.gl/dbqcT
    A little different from 'insult' words but still highlights the massive amount of negativity towards women

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ So right. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, entirely, but what about dick, twat, dork, et cetera? I stopped using "cunt" (even though no other word comes close to being as effectively offensive) because I realized how reductive it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're definitely right. There's lots of hurtful words that are also associated with men, and honestly, that makes me feel a little better about the words associated with women. Insults have to come from somewhere, I guess, and what better subject to draw them from than the subject we know best? Humans. It's wrong, of course, and I hate it a lot. I would also like to say though, that even though all of the words you're referencing are offensive, they still have to do with having power or a certain degree of stature, you know? No one calls a person a "dick" if the person in question is scared or weak. I definitely understand where you're coming from though. That's a really good point.

    ReplyDelete