Saturday 16 February 2013

Blog, Blog, Blog.

     Last night, I had a revelation.
     My friends introduced me to this band from Calgary, Alberta called Boreal Sons about a year ago. They're fucking great. Like, unbelievable. And the best part about it is that they don't even realize how fantastic they are. They're super nice guys and they're always willing to talk to you after shows, which is really nice. Anyways, last night, I went to see them play (for the third time) and it was the best thing I've ever seen. Better than any other time I've seen them, better than any other show I've seen. I was absolutely overwhelmed by how many emotions I felt at one time. And then it hit me:
     No matter how bad things are and no matter how drastically things change, Boreal Sons are always going to fucking rule. They're always going to make fantastic music. And that made me feel better about EVERYTHING. I feel like it's kind of hard to explain that kind of emotion and comfort, but I hope that you experience it one day, because it's the most reassuring thing I've ever felt. You might not feel such a deep connection to Boreal Sons, but maybe you can feel that in a different way. Like, your grandma is always going to think you're precious, you know? No matter how many people tell you you're nerdy or stinky or loud or whatever, your grandma will ALWAYS love you. And that should make you feel really good, I think.
     I just needed to tell people about that. Go see Boreal Sons if you ever get the chance, also.

     I'd also like to talk about women, obviously. I've decided that I'm going to start doing a "Woman of the Week" post, and I'd like to start that today! So, here we go: If you've never heard of Die Antwoord, go punch yourself in the leg and then YouTube that suff. The first time I heard them, I was scared. Legitimately terrified. Most of that has to do with the content of their music videos. Don't get me wrong, I love all of them, they're just very shocking and hard to get used to. But once you're past the initial shock, it's like your world has just opened up into a beautifully fucked up dream.
     Yolandi Visser is one of the most amazing women I have ever witnessed do anything. First of all, she's a female rapper. Yes, we have Nicki Minaj, but what Yolandi does is so different. It's hard to even put her in any type of genre, really. AND THAT'S MY FAVOURITE THING ABOUT HER. Not only is her music unique, but her looks and her approach to her work are so unlike anything I've ever seen. She's so beautiful, so comfortable with herself and her body and her sexuality and that really comes through in her art. Her concepts are incredible and sometimes offensive, but it's just her, you know? It's just her in her element and it's lovely. I don't think there's anything more satisfying, as a woman, than seeing another woman succeed because she's being herself.
     You know what? I'm going to make this so easy for you. If you want to see how bad ass Yolandi is, watch this video:


     I'm gonna make this SUPER easy for you. Here's Boreal Sons:


    I want to say I'm sorry for how fuzzy and scattered this post is, but I'm not. I feel fuzzy and scattered and I think it's fair that that's reflected in my writing. Have a nice day!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment